Sunday, January 25, 2009

SAMANA, DOMINICAN - THE JOURNEY

My family and I booked an Eastern Caribbean Cruise in December '08 and discovered the natural beauty of the Samana Island in the Domican Republic. Samana is a destination for nature lovers and adventurers. The island attracts many people, among these are eco-tourists (scuba divers, rock climbers, horseback riders and whale-watchers.) For many generations every winter, the humpback whales from the North Atlantic migrate to these protected and warm waters of the Bay of Samana. My family and I are planning to return to this island and continue to experience it's natural wonders.

This was our first visit to the port of Samana, Dominican Republic and it is definitely a gem in the Eastern Caribbean. We decided to book the ship's excursion "Waterfall Hike & Swim" and we were all excited about traveling into a hidden oasis which opened up to a beautiful cascade of water! The adventure began by boarding and traveling in an open air bus into the interior of the Samana Peninsula to reach the walking trail. Our knowledgeable and experienced guide shared his passion and love for the island, the people, the vegetation, culture and history.

I imagined that we would see many species of birds and be in a jungle atmosphere and being one with nature. After traveling throughout the countryside and experiencing the natural beauty of the island, (a school house on your left), we arrived at a ranch house. At this point, we were excited about continuing on our journey and adventure. Before the hike we exchanged our runners for rain boots (or wellies in British terms!) It was wonderful to meet so many other local, young experienced guides who helped us walk through the muddy and slippery paths before reaching the hidden and beautiful water falls. I instantly connected with my young 16 year old guide Lisa. Her husband was also a guide who offered a ride to individuals who did not want to walk along the path. I thoroughly enjoyed the time Lisa and I spent together. Not understanding each other's language we communicated verbally and non-verbally through gestures, smiles, laughing, pointing and just sharing our bond. We held hands on and off throughout the path and helped each other balance through the mud and rocks and at times we shared quiet moments. I wish I was fluent in the Spanish language as I could have communicated in more depth with Lisa to discover her passions, more about her family, friends and dreams. It was amazing to watch Lisa and her friends climbing trees for grapefruit and coconut and dropping these below. I was amazed at their agility and skill. The grapefruits were huge and juicy and not the ones we find back home in our grocery stores. The coconut juice was fresh and eating the coconut brought me to wonderful past memories of living on our sail boat in the Bahamas many years ago.

About 1/2 hour into our hike, we heard the powerful rushing of the water at the falls. The area was hidden from view by the path and then opened to a beautiful cascade of water, which fell into a clear, natural pool. I could not wait to get into the cool, fresh, mountain water and experience the thrill of being in the water surrounded by the mist. Two of the island people scaled the cliffs to dive into the water below. This was a special and spectacular event! They were immensely skilled and knew how to be extra careful to navigate themselves around the jagged rocks below. All an adventure I am grateful for and enjoyed every moment immensely.

People may talk about the poverty of the island. I choose to look at the people, who smiled and waved to us, as our bus went by. Children were laughing and playing and the island people were going about their day. I feel they also understand the simplicity of what is special in life and I truly felt connected to them.

I look forward to returning to this island and getting to know more about the island people. The joy and love I felt in my heart for them is strong and connects me to them. I am booked on a cruise in August to speak on a cruise line and one of the ports of call is Samana, so my wish comes true. My hope for you is that you create the your own opportunity to travel to this island, meet the people and experience the Waterfall Hike & Swim. Remember to give a hug and say a big hello to Lisa! I know I will when I return to the island in August 2009!






Bon Voyage! See you in Samana!
Moira

No comments: